Al-Qur’an: Suratul Qiyaamah 16-25
أعوذ بالله من الشيطان الرجيم
لا تُحَرِّكْ بِهِ لِسَانَكَ لِتَعْجَلَ بِهِ (١٦) إِنَّ عَلَيْنَا جَمْعَهُ وَقُرْآنَهُ (١٧) فَإِذَا قَرَأْنَاهُ فَاتَّبِعْ قُرْآنَهُ (١٨) ثُمَّ إِنَّ عَلَيْنَا بَيَانَهُ (١٩) كَلا بَلْ تُحِبُّونَ الْعَاجِلَةَ (٢٠) وَتَذَرُونَ الآخِرَةَ (٢١) وُجُوهٌ يَوْمَئِذٍ نَاضِرَةٌ (٢٢) إِلَى رَبِّهَا نَاظِرَةٌ (٢٣) وَوُجُوهٌ يَوْمَئِذٍ بَاسِرَةٌ (٢٤) تَظُنُّ أَنْ يُفْعَلَ بِهَا فَاقِرَةٌ (٢٥)
Move not your tongue with it, [O Muhammad], to hasten with recitation of the Qur’an.
- Indeed, upon Us is its collection [in your heart] and [to make possible] its recitation.
- So when We have recited it [through Gabriel], then follow its recitation.
- Then upon Us is its clarification [to you].
- No! But you love the immediate
- And leave the Hereafter.
- [Some] faces, that Day, will be radiant,
- Looking at their Lord.
- And [some] faces, that Day, will be contorted,
- Expecting that there will be done to them [something] backbreaking.
Sahih Int’l translation
The title given for these verses 16-25 by Dr. Wahbatu Zuhaili in his Tafseer al-Muneer was: (حرص النبي صلّى الله عليه وسلّم على حفظ القرآن وحال الناس في الآخرة) THE KEENNESS OF THE PROPHET ON THE PRESERVATION OF THE QUR’AN AND THE CONDITION OF THE PEOPLE ON THE LAST DAY.
Cause of revelation
Imam Bukhari and others recorded that Ibn Abbas (RA) said: The prophet (sallalahu alayhi wasallam) will hasten to repeat the Qur’an while Jibril was revealing it due to his wish to preserve it in his heart. Then Allah revealed verse 16 of this surah.
- Allah taught His messenger how to deal with the revelation when angel Jubril is transmitting it.
- Allah has entrusted Jubril with the transmission of the Qur’an and He has made him the teacher for His last prophet and messenger. The prophet feared that he may forget some part of the revelation as its volume increases with time. So, he will repeat immediately as Jubril recites before the conclusion. This is not a proper decorum for a student; so Allah admonished the prophet away from this act while attending to the concern of His prophet by assuring him of His preservation.
- There is a clear lesson in this for a good student of knowledge. The proper procedure for absorbing the knowledge from a teacher will be to first understand the message with precision before recording or taking notes on it. Surely, success tips of variety were contained in the Qur’an.
- It is important to note the high level of concern that the prophet attached to the message he was commissioned to deliver. A Muslim must take lesson from this; every job is a trust; there is no vacuum in nature; your presence is a reason for another person’s absence. Those who were absent because of your presence may do it better; it is treacherous if you choose not to deliver your best. Allah has chosen the prophet out of His grace and his concern for the preservation of the ultimate source of the message is a proper appreciation of the mercy of Allah on him. May the peace and blessings of Allah be on the messenger of Allah.
- Humans by nature tend to hasten. Hastiness is a detestable, satanic and counter-productive character or culture. A narrated tradition in the sunnah corroborate sthis verse to condemn it.
قَالَ حَاتِمٌ: «كَانَ يُقَالُ الْعَجَلَةُ مِنَ الشَّيْطَانِ إِلَّا فِي خَمْسٍ , إِطْعَامُ الطَّعَامِ إِذَا حَضَرَ الضَّيْفُ وَتَجْهِيزُ الْمَيِّتِ إِذَا مَاتَ , وَتَزْوِيجُ الْبِكْرِ إِذَا أَدْرَكَتْ , وَقَضَاءُ الدَّيْنِ إِذَا وَجَبَ , وَالتَّوْبَةُ مِنَ الذَّنْبِ إِذَا أَذْنَبَ»
Hastiness is from shaytan except with five: (1) Serving food when the guest is present (2) Burying the dead (3) Marrying out the virgin when she has reached puberty (4) Paying off the debt (5) Repentance
Source: حلية الأولياء وطبقات الأصفياء(vol 8 pg. 78)
Allah promised the prophet 3 things:
(1) The collection of the Qur’an in his heart.
(2) The preservation of the Qur’an.
(3) The explanation of the Qur’an.
- There were differences on the best source of explanation to a book. Some argued that the book will explain itself better; some opined that the author will be the best explainer; while some placed the judgment on the reader.
The best explanations to a work will be from the author of the work. This is one of what makes the Qur’an uniquely efficient and encyclopedic. Some parts of the Qur’an explained another while the sunnah which is another type of revelation explains further. Islam has the best explanations to its fundamentals. All praises and thanks to Allah.
- The later verses also described some events of the Day of Resurrection.
- Staring at Allah on the Day of Judgment is an added enjoyment for those that deserve it. The most fortunate among the beneficiaries will be those who will be given the opportunity to see his Lord (Allah) in the morning and the evening (twice a day).
- Allah promised to explain the content of the Qur’an. These explanations include: The Limits, The Permitted, The Prohibited, The Promises (of rewards) and The Threats (of punishments).
- Hastiness is generally despicable even in religious matters.
- The disbelief of man in The Promises and The Threats was due to his weakness of nature to seek what is quick and immediately available. So, a Muslim must seek the contrary and flee to Allah while the of disbelievers flee to the deception of satan.