11th Ramadan 1442 A.H
(23rd April,2021 C.E)
IN THE NAME OF ALLAH THE MOST BENEFICENT THE MOST MERCIFUL
BEING THE SECOND SERMON FOR THE MONTH OF RAMADHAAN, 11TH RAMADHAAN 1442AH (23RD APRIL, 2021)
CHARITY EXTINGUISHES THE ANGER OF THE LORD (ALLAH)
All Praises belong to Allah, the generous One who has been kind to us with the seasons of good deeds and times of blessings. We praise and thank him. I bear witness that there is no god worthy of worship other than Allah alone and He has no partner. And I bear witness that Muhammad is the servant of Allah and His Messenger. I beseech Allah to grant him blessings and peace, also his family and companions and all those that follow his footsteps until the Day that wealth and children would be of no benefit except for the one who has come to Allah with a tranquil submissive heart.
Thereafter, oh servants of Allah! Fear Allah as it is the right of his piety, so by his piety, you attain the purposes of this world and you realize happiness in the hereafter. Allah Ta’alah says: "Oh you who believe! If you have piety towards Allah, He gives you discernment (ability to distinguish between right and wrong) and expiates for you your sins…" The Messenger of Allah (Peace and Blessings of Allah be upon him) said: "Fear Allah wherever you are. And follow whatever evil you commit with good deeds, so it wipes it off…".
Brothers in Faith! This is our second meeting in this great month, the blessed month of Ramadhaan, the month of forgiveness, the month of high recompense and reward, so it is worthy for us to focus our sermon today on the topic: Charity douses the anger of the Lord, so that we take advantage of the season and be among those who are forgiven and who Allah is pleased with.
Allah, Blessed and Exalted He is, has commanded charity in many verses, urges is to do it and demanded it, commanding His Prophet, (may the Blessings and Peace of Allah be upon him), to order the servants to pray and spend in private and in public, reminding them of the Day of Reckoning in which there is neither sale nor friendly influence.
Allah Almighty said: "Tell My believing servants to establish prayer and donate from what We have provided for them—openly and secretly—before the arrival of a Day in which there will be no ransom or friendly connections." (Ibrahim: 31). And He Almighty said: "O believers, give in charity what is good of the things you have earned…" (Al-Baqarah:267)
He (Peace and Blessings of Allah be upon him) said: Allah will speak with everyone amongst you without any interpreter between them. He (the man) would see towards his right and would not find anything but (the deeds) which he had done before, and he would see towards the left and would not find anything but (the deeds) which he had done before. He would see in front of him and would find nothing but Fire just before his face. So protect (yourselves) against Fire even if it is with the help of half a date."
On the authority of Abu Hurairah (may Allah be pleased with him), he said, the Messenger of Allah, (may the Blessings and Peace of Allah be upon him) said: “He who gives a fair date from the earning of good, and Allah does not accept anything but good, and that Allah accepts it with his right and then He makes it grow for the giver as one of you use to rear his young animal, until it grows to become like a mountain or a part of it".
The Virtues of Charity
1 It extinguishes the anger of Allah, may He be glorified and exalted, as in his saying: "The charity of the sacrament extinguishes the anger of the Lord, the Blessed and Exalted be He"
2. It wipes out sins, and eliminates its fire, as in his saying: "…and charity extinguishes sin as water extinguishes the fire".
3. It is protection from fire, as in the saying, peace and blessings of Allah be upon him: "So beware of fire, even if with half of a date".
4. The giver of charity would be in the shade of his charity on the Day of Resurrection, as in the hadith of Uqba ibn Aamer: "I heard the Messenger of Allah, (may the Blessings and Peace of Allah be upon him), say: "Every person would be in the shade of his charity until Judgement has been made among the people" Yazid said: Abu Murthad did not make a mistake on a day that he would not give something in charity, even a cake or onion. The Prophet (may the Blessings and Peace of Allah be upon him) mentioned that among the seven whom Allah will shade under His Throne on the day there is no shade but His shade: "…A man who would hide his charity, so that his left hand would not know what his right hand spends". (Saheeh)
5. Charity is a cure for physical illnesses, as in his saying: "Heal your sick with charity". Ibn Shaqeeq said: "I heard Ibn al-Mubarak, when a man asked him about a sore that came out on his knee seven years ago, and he treated it with various types of treatment, and he asked doctors, but he did not benefit from it, so he said: "Go and dig a well in a place where water is needed, for I hope that there will spring some water that will keep your fault from you So, the man did so, and he was cleared of the sore ".
6. It contains a cure for heart diseases, as in the words of the one who complained to him (may the Blessings and Peace of Allah be upon him) of the cruelty of his heart: "If you want to soften your heart, feed the poor, and wipe the head of an orphan" (Ahmad).
7. A Angels pray everyday for the one who gives charity, unlike the one who doesn’t, and regarding that he (may the Blessings and Peace of Allah be upon him) says: "There is no day when the servants wakes up but two angels come down, and one of them says: Oh Allah, give a spender successor, and the other says: Oh Allah, give the holders a spoilage". (Bukhaariy and Muslim).
8. The one who gives charity is blessed with his wealth, as the Prophet (may the Blessings and Peace of Allah be upon him) said concerning that, saying: "Charity does not diminish from wealth" (Muslim).
9. Allah doubles for the giver of charity his reward, as in the words of the Almighty: “Indeed, those who gives charity, male and female, and lend Allah a good loan, it will be multiplied for them, and they have a generous reward” And He, Almighty said: “Who would lend a good loan to Allah so that He doubles it for him many times over. And Allah takes the restricts and expands (wealth) and to Him everything returns.
10. There is nothing that remains for the owner of the money from his money except what he gives in charity, as in the words of Allah Almighty: “And whatever good you spend, it is for yourselves” (Al-Baqarah: 272). And when the Prophet (may the Blessings and Peace of Allah be upon him) asked A’ishah (may Allah be pleased with her, about the sheep that they slaughtered what was left of it: She said: "What remains of it is its shoulder". He said, "All of them remained apart from her shoulder". (Muslim).
The second sermon
All praises are due to Allah Alone. May the peace and blessings be upon the one after whom there is no prophet, and on all of his family and companions.
The Best Alms: These include the following:
1- Hidden Charity; Because it is closer to sincerity than the proclaimed one. Allah says in this regard: (إِن تُبْدُواْ الصَّدَقَاتِ فَنِعِمَّا هي وَإِن تُخْفُوهَا وَتؤْتُوهَا الفُقَرَاءِ فَهُوَ خَيرٌ لَّكُمْ) “If you disclose your charitable expenditures, they are good; but if you conceal them and give them to the poor, it is better for you,” (Suratul Baqarah: 271). The Prophet, (peace and blessings be upon him) mentioned that one of the Seven that shall be shaded by Allah under his shade on a day in which there is no shade except His Shade: “… and a man who conceals the charity he gives such that his left hand does not know what his right hand has spent." so that his left hand would not know what his oath was spending).
2- Charity in a state of health and strength is better than a will after death or in a state of illness and dying, as in his saying: ‘To give in charity when you are healthy and feeling miserly, and fearing poverty and hoping for a long life. Do not wait until the (death rattle) reaches the throat and then say: "This is for so and so," and it nearly became the property of so and so (the heirs).’ [Bukhari and Muslim].
3- When a person gave what he could give and afford even in a state of scarcity and need based on his saying: (The best of charity is the giving of the man with lesser property, e lesser; and begin with those for whom you are responsible. [Narrated by Abu Dawood].
4- The best charity is in Ramadan, as said by Ibn Abbas, may Allah be pleased with him, he said: "The Messenger of Allah was the most generous of people, and he was most generous in Ramadan when Jibril me him.” Among the charity in Ramadan is feeding people and giving food to break the fast. Zaid bn Khalid Al-Juhani said: The Messenger of Allah, peace and blessing be upon him said: "Whoever provides the food for a fasting person to break his fast with, then for his is the same reward as his (the fasting person’s), without anything being diminished from the reward of the fasting person." (Ibn Majah) Albani classed as Sahih.
5- The first ten days of Dhu al-Hijjah.
6- One of the virtuous times is the day when people are in distress, in dire need and in clear poverty, as Allah mentioned: “But he has not broken through the difficult pass. (12) And what can make you know what is [breaking through] the difficult pass? (13) It is the freeing of a slave.” (Suratul balad: 11- 13)
These days the world suffers from corona viruses, poverty, affliction, tribulations and floods: Ghouta cries out for help, Somalia is in famine, the Philippines after Burma is seeking help, India is crying out loudly for help! Help !! And Allah, the Almighty says: (وَمَا تُقَدِّمُوا لأَنْفُسِكُمْ مِنْ خَيْرٍ تَجِدُوهُ عِنْدَ اللَّه) “And whatever good ye send forth for your souls before you, ye shall find it with Allah.” (Suratul baqarah: 110)