In The Name Of Allah The Most Beneficent The Most Merciful
BEING THE FOURTH SERMON FOR THE MONTH OF SAFAR DATED 26TH SAFAR 1441 AH (25TH OCTOBER, 2019 CE)
THE EFFECTS OF SINS AND DISOBEDIENCE (TO ALLAH) ON THE INDIVIDUAL AND THE SOCIETY
All praises are due to Allah, who says in His perfect Revelation: (ظَهَرَ الْفَسَادُ فِي الْبَرِّ وَالْبَحْرِ بِمَا كَسَبَتْ أَيْدِي النَّاسِ [لِيُذِيقَهُمْ بَعْضَ الَّذِي عَمِلُوا لَعَلَّهُمْ يَرْجِعُونَ) “Corruption has appeared in the land and in the sea as a result of the handiwork of people, so that they are made to taste (feel) some of what they do, so perhaps they may return (to Allah)” (Ar-Ruum:41). We praise Him, the Perfect and Most Exalted, we give thanks to Him, we seek His assistance and His forgiveness. We seek refuge with Him from the evils of our souls and our misdeeds. Whoever Allah has guided is the one that is indeed guided and nobody can lead such astray. And whoever is led astray, then for such, there is no helper/protector that can guide him. I testify that there is no deity worthy of worship except Allah. He is One and has no partner. I testify also that Muhammad is His slave and messenger. May the Peace and Blessings of Allah be on him and his household, his companions and on all those that follow his sunnah and is guided by his guidance till the day of Judgement.
Thereafter…Oh servants of Allah fear Allah, because it is only with the fear of Allah that one’s happiness can be attained, both in this life and the hereafter. Allah ta’alah said: (يُصْلِحْ لَكُمْ أَعْمَالَكُمْ وَيَغْفِرْ لَكُمْ ذُنُوبَكُمْ وَمَنْ يُطِعِ اللَّهَ وَرَسُولَهُ فَقَدْ فَازَ فَوْزًا عَظِيمًا) “Your deeds will be rectified for you and He will forgive you your sins. So whoever obeys Allah and His Messenger has indeed succeeded – a big success” (Al-Ahzaab: 71).
Having said that, this is the fourth Jumu’ah in the month of Safar, and the topic of the sermon will be about ‘THE EFFECTS OF SINS AND DISOBEDIENCE (TO ALLAH) ON THE INDIVIDUAL AND THE SOCIETY’.
Servants of Allah! Know that the disobedience of Allah or sin is the neglect of what Allah has commanded (and instructed) and doing what is unlawful and prohibited. Disobedience or transgression is the opposite of obedience and its contradiction. Whoever disobeys Allah, the Most Glorified, the Most High, has indeed contradicted the commands of Allah and has approached that which Allah prohibited, and that would lead to His Wrath. Whereas the basis of life and its goal is to attain the Pleasure of Allah, the Most Exalted. Allah said: (وَرِضْوَانٌ مِنَ اللَّهِ أَكْبَرُ) “And the Pleasure from Allah is the greatest”. (At-Taubah: 72). Thus the Messenger (Peace and Blessings of Allah be on him) said: “A creature cannot be obeyed in disobedience to Allah, the Most Honourable and Majestic” (related by Ahmaad).
Transgression or disobedience, it is said, is one of the characteristics of Shaytan- the Devil: Allah says: (إِنَّ الشَّيْطَانَ كَانَ لِلرَّحْمَنِ عَصِيًّا) “Verily, the Shaytan is disobedient to the Most Gracious (Allah)” (Maryam:44). This is because he commands people to commit disobedience and sins. Whoever obeys him has fallen into his trap, as Allah Ta’alah says: (وَلَا تَتَّبِعُوا خُطُوَاتِ الشَّيْطَانِ إِنَّهُ لَكُمْ عَدُوٌّ مُبِينٌ (168) إِنَّمَا يَأْمُرُكُمْ بِالسُّوءِ وَالْفَحْشَاءِ وَأَنْ تَقُولُوا عَلَى اللَّهِ مَا لَا تَعْلَمُونَ) “…And do not follow the footsteps of the shaytan. He is indeed an avoewd enemy to you”. “He only commands you (to do) evil and immorality, and to say about Allah, things that you do not know.” (Al-Baqarah:168-169).
Servants of Allah! Allah has ordained that every son of Adam will be prone to error, but the best of those that commit errors are those that are quick to repent and do not delay until the sins overwhelm and destroy him, regardless of whether it is minor or major sins. Allah Ta’alah said: (إنْ تَجْتَنِبُوا كَبَائِرَ مَا تُنْهَوْنَ عَنْهُ نُكَفِّرُ عَنْكُمْ سَيِّئَاتِكُمْ وَنُدْخِلُكُمْ مُدْخَلًا كَرِيمًا) “If you avoid the major sins which you are forbidden from, We will wipe away your lesser sins and admit you into a honourable (place of) entrance”. (At-Taubah:31).
There are many effects of sins and disobedience of Allah, the consequences of which comes back to not only the individual but the society in general. In the following section we highlight some of these effects of disobedience:
- Deprivation of the light of knowledge which is one of the favours granted to the servants of Allah in this world. Committing sins by a servant would result to darkness of insight and discernment. So when Imaam Maalik was impressed by the brilliance of his student, Imaam Shafi’i, (may Allah have mercy on both of them), he told him: “I see that Allah has placed light in your heart, so do not extinguish (the light) with the darkness of disobedience”. And below is the response of Imam Wakee’ to Imam Shafi’i when he complained to him about his ineffective memory:
“Knowledge is light from my Lord (Allah)
And the Light of Allah does not guide a transgressor”
- Feeling of depression in the heart: The depression starts (in the relationship) between the servant and his Lord, and then spreads to relationship between the disobedient servant and others until the people that are closest to him could feel it. He doesn’t feel any benefit in his soul sitting in the gathering of the righteous. He only wishes to be in the gathering of the bad people. His life becomes unpleasant. This is so because as long he’s distant from Allah, the depression and darkness increases in his heart. But whenever he moves close (to Allah), his intimacy with Allah, the Most High, increases, because, obedience indeed endows one with love, even with all creatures.
- Deprivation of livelihood and lack of success in life as well as feeling of hardship in affairs. He sees every door shut in his face, in contrast to the one who fears Allah, the Most Exalted. Such would indeed find ease in every worry, and a way out of every difficulty. Verily, what mostly brings about lack and poverty is being far away from Taqwa and obedience to Allah. Abandoning the fear of Allah occurs by committing sins and transgression and neglecting the obligatory and compulsory deeds. Allah (Glorified and Exalted He is) said: (ومن يتق الله يجعل له مخرجاً * ويرزقه من حيث لا يحتسب) “And whoever fears Allah, he will make a way out for him. And He will provide for him from where he does not expect” (At-Talaaq:2-3). “Allah has indeed guaranteed people who are pious that He will make a way out for them from whatever is difficult for people, and that He will provide sustenance for them from where they do not expect. So if someone does not obtain this, it points to a defect in piety, so such a person should seek Allah’s forgiveness and repent unto Him.” (Sharh Aqeedatu Tahawiyyah: page 269, Maktabatul Islaamiy, Beirut).
- Deprivation from performing acts of obedience: This is because obedience to Allah is not achieved by a servant except it is granted by Allah, the Most High. So when a servant chooses the path of transgression and sins, then his soul is weakened and unable to welcome and accept obedience to Allah, and unable to take the initiative of repenting after committing evil. It is related that a man came to Hasan Al-Basri and complained that he prepares to pray naafilah at night, but he couldn’t wake up. Hasan Al-Basri answered him saying “(It is) your sins that are holding you back”. Just like Sulayman Al-Daraani (may Allah grant him Mercy) said: “A person does not miss the congregational prayer except because of sin.”
- Lowliness of mind and humiliation before Allah and the people: The honourable one is the one that obeys Allah, The Most Exalted, and opposes his self-desire. Sulayman At-Taymi said: “A man will commit a sin in secret and he wakes up with (signs of) humiliation upon him”. Whoever is humiliated by Allah, then there is no honour for him in any situation, as Allah, the Most Exalted, removes his Honour from sinners and disobedient people, in contrary to the obedient people. Abu Dardaa (may Allah be pleased with him) said: “Verily a servant will feel free to sin against Allah, then, Allah will put his hatred in the hearts of believers from places where he least expect”.
Including loss of insight, and loss of passion, he struggles to beautify evil, and defames good, to the extent that he is not contented with committing sins but goes ahead to invite people to it while embellishing it for them.
- Loss of Modesty or shamefulness: A sinner will not be bothered if people see him on the evil he does or not. He does it publicly without the fear of Allah or being shy of people. Some sinners go to the extent of being boastful of the sins they committed without observing the evil therein and also feel pain for being far from the sin while Allah forbids the servants from publicly committing sins in the hadith of Salim bn Abdullah who said: “I heard Allah’s Apostle saying. “All the sins of my followers will be forgiven except those of the Mujahirin (those who commit a sin openly or disclose their sins to the people). An example of such disclosure is that a person commits a sin at night and though Allah screens it from the public, then he comes in the morning, and says, ‘O so-and-so, I did such-and-such (evil) deed yesterday,’ though he spent his night screened by his Lord (none knowing about his sin) and in the morning he removes Allah’s screen from himself.” (Bukhari).
- Occurrence of calamity and punishment: Ibn Qayyim said: “Part of the effects of sin on earth is the occurrence of eclipse, earthquake, removal of blessings, and many of the likes of this are caused by the sins man committed. The repercussions of sins are dangerous in this world and in the hereafter. If a sinner does not hasten to repent in this world, he will be in difficulty in this world and in perpetual punishment in the hereafter. Allah says: (وَمَنْ أَعْرَضَ عَنْ ذِكْرِي فَإِنَّ لَهُ مَعِيشَةً ضَنْكًا وَنَحْشُرُهُ يَوْم القِيَامَةِ أَعْمَى) Surat Toha: 124.
Cure of sins:
Man needs to cure himself from both minor and major sins because sins are like physical ailments that need prevention from and abstaining from their causes. Furthermore as physical ailments destroy the body if not cured, thus sins also destroy the soul if not taken care of. This is because soundness of the soul is better than the soundness of the body because of the safety and security one will get from the soul on the day of judgement,
If a servant sincerely faces his Lord in truth and be remorseful, this act of obedience is a move to the path of Allah’s forgiveness that is pleased by Allah and its end is acceptance and pleasure. Hence a servant should not combine between his sinning against Allah and despair from Allah’s mercy, the Prophet, peace be upon him said: “There is no servant that commit sin and then perform ablution and perfects the purification, then performs two rak’ah of prayer and seek for Allah’s forgiveness from that sin except that he will be forgiven.” (Sahihul Jami’).
May Allah forgive us all our sins and make us among the repentant servants because whoever repents is like one who has no sin. Amin.
THE SECOND SERMON
All praise be to Allah. May the peace and blessings of Allah be upon the Prophet- peace be upon him, and those that followed him and abide by his guidance and his entire household.
The 24th October is regarded as the world United Nation’s day, hence we use this medium to raise our voice asking the world in general and the UNO in particular that when would the Muslims be free, and when would the imprisoned Muslims in Palestine, Syria and other Muslim countries, be granted their freedom? When will Israel stop its aggression against Palestinians and return them to their lands? When will the war stop, when will the killing and destruction in Kashmir, Burma, Eritrea, Northern Sudanetc end? When and when? What is the benefit of United nations that cannot ensure security, peace in its nations. We ask Allah for peace and good health.
Where then are the leaders of the Muslims when this is the condition of the Muslims? If they don’t unite now when will they? Allah says: (وَالّذِين كَفَرُوا بَعْضُهُمْ أَوْلِيَاءُ بَعْضٍ إِنْ لـَمْ تَفْعَلُوا تَكُنْ فِتْنَةٌ وَفَسَادٌ كَبِيرٌ) “The Unbelievers are protectors, one of another: Unless ye do this, (protect each other), there would be tumult and oppression on earth, and great mischief” (Suratul Anfaal 73).
A Wiseman said:
What pains me and pains every freeborn is the question of the Time that, where are the Muslims?