BEING THE FIRST KHUTBAH FOR THE MONTH OF SOFAR, 4/SOFAR/1438AH (4TH/NOVEMBER/2016CE)
THE ROLE OF ISLAMIC POLITICAL SYSTEM IN NATION BUILDING
All praises are due to Allah Who sent His Messenger with guidance and the religion of truth to manifest it over all religion. And sufficient is Allah as Witness. Allah says:
﴿إِنَّ اللَّهَ يَأْمُرُكُمْ أَنْ تُؤَدُّوا الْأَمَانَاتِ إِلَى أَهْلِهَا وَإِذَا حَكَمْتُمْ بَيْنَ النَّاسِ أَنْ تَحْكُمُوا بِالْعَدْلِ إِنَّ اللَّهَ نِعِمَّا يَعِظُكُمْ بِهِ إِنَّ اللَّهَ كَانَ سَمِيعًا بَصِيرًا – يَا أَيُّهَا الَّذِينَ
آمَنُوا أَطِيعُوا اللَّهَ وَأَطِيعُوا الرَّسُولَ وَأُولِي الْأَمْرِ مِنْكُمْ فَإِنْ تَنَازَعْتُمْ فِي شَيْءٍ فَرُدُّوهُ إِلَى اللَّهِ وَالرَّسُولِ إِنْ كُنْتُمْ تُؤْمِنُونَ بِاللَّهِ وَالْيَوْمِ الْآخِرِ ذَلِكَ خَيْرٌ وَأَحْسَنُ تَأْوِيلً
Indeed, Allah commands you to render trusts to whom they are due and when you judge between people to judge with justice. Excellent is that which Allah instructs you. Indeed, Allah is ever Hearing and Seeing. ( 59 )
O you who have believed, obey Allah and obey the Messenger and those in authority among you. And if you disagree over anything, refer it to Allah and the Messenger, if you should believe in Allah and the Last Day. That is the best [way] and best in result.
I testify there is no god but Allah alone, He has no associate, and I testify that Muhammad (pbuh) is the servant of Allah and His messenger. May Allah bestow peace and blessings on him (pbuh), his families, pious companions and all those who follow his guidance till the day of recompense.
O people, I enjoin you and myself to fear Allah, for that is the divine recommendation to every person that seeks to gain the . Allah says:
﴿يَاأَيُّهَا الَّذِينَ آمَنُوا اتَّقُوا اللَّهَ حَقَّ تُقَاتِهِ وَلَا تَمُوتُنَّ إِلَّا وَأَنْتُمْ مُسْلِمُونَ ﴾
“O you who have believed, fear Allah as He should be feared and do not die except as Muslims [in submission to Him]. (3: 102)
Today’s sermon is titled “THE ROLE OF ISLAMIC POLITICAL SYSTEM IN NATION BUILDING”.
1- Construction of the Prophet’s Mosque.
The first step the Prophet took was to build a mosque at the place of rest of his camel. The land was purchased from two orphans who owned it. The Prophet personally partook in the real construction; carrying bricks and stones and chanting the following poem:
O Allah, there is no life except the life of the hereafter.
Forgive the Ansaars (the helpers) and the Muhajirins (migrants).
The mosque has a great importance in the life of Muslims as a spiritual provision in the soujourn of a Muslim towards his Lord. It stands as the learning centre to acquire knowledge, ethics, and learn about his past, present and plan for his future. The Mosques during its days of glory used to be the point of departure of Muslims in all their life affairs, among which is that it was a centre of learning of various knowledge, and also a place of training for Jihad in the path of Allah, such that great armies graduated from that institution carrying the banners of Islam to the nooks and crannies of the world. That was the position of Mosque, today it is imperative to return the mosque to its rightful place in the hearts of people and their lives.
2- Joining ties of brotherhood between Muhajirun and the Ansar:
The Prophet, peace be upon him joined ties of brotherhood between the Muhajirun and Ansar in the house of Anas bn Malik, they were ninety men, half of whom were Muhajiun and the other half were Ansar, and the joined them to mutually support one another, and that they could inherit themselves after death as brother not as relation until the time of the Battle of Badr, in Ramadan of the second year of migration,
When Allah revealed thus: ((وَأُوْلُو الْأَرْحَامِ بَعْضُهُمْ أَوْلَى بِبَعْضٍ فِي كِتَابِ اللَّهِ))( And those of [blood] relationship are more entitled [to inheritance] in the decree of Allah) [Al-Ahzab verse: 6] Thus was right to inheritance was situated back on family ties away from ties of brotherhood.
Some of the objectives of the brotherhood tie included:
1- To displace the feel of loneliness of alienation:
2- To establish support among the faithful
3- The need of the Ansars to learning the understanding of the religion: Thus Allah says: (Say, “I only advise you of one (thing) – that you stand for Allah, [seeking truth] in pairs and individually, and then give thought.” There is not in your companion any madness.) [As-Sabai verse: 46]
4- Exemplary model: That they may take good exemplary model, and that is the reality with the accompanying evidence. Islam does not exist with example, for Islam cannot grow while in the books, rather it grows by seeing the practicality in personalities. Thus the we need to see Muslim walking, who is alive to trustworthiness, modesty, love, fairness, and his contentment in Allah against others beside Him.
5- To achieve social integration, social solidarity, and social cooperation:
The Islamic obligations including solat, zakat, fasting, and pilgrimage are obligatory on us all, and the goal in all of that is brotherhood. On solat, you find a king praying side by side with the lowly in status in the mosque, same for hajj, … there is no distinction between them; the Prince and the lowly, nor between strong and weak, nor between rich and poor.
3-Charter of the Islamic Alliance:
As the Messenger of Allah, peace be upon established the tie of brotherhood among the faithful, he also established a charter to displace any affiliation with the days of ignorance. The following is a summary of its provisions:
1. This is a document from Muhammad the Prophet (may Allah bless him and grant him peace), governing relations between the Believers i.e. Muslims of Quraysh and Yathrib and those who followed them and worked hard with them. They form one nation – Ummah.
2. The Quraysh Mu
hajireen will continue to pay blood money, according to their present custom.
3. In case of war with any body they will redeem their prisoners with kindness and justice common among Believers. (Not according to pre-Islamic nations where the rich and the poor were treated differently).
4. The Bani Awf will decide the blood money, within themselves, according to their existing custom.
5. In case of war with anybody all parties other than Muslims will redeem their prisoners with kindness and justice according to practice among Believers and not in accordance with pre-Islamic notions.
6. The Bani Saeeda, the Bani Harith, the Bani Jusham and the Bani Najjar will be governed on the lines of the above (principles)
7. The Bani Amr, Bani Awf, Bani Al-Nabeet, and Bani Al-Aws will be governed in the same manner.
8. Believers will not fail to redeem their prisoners they will pay blood money on their behalf. It will be a common responsibility of the Ummat and not of the family of the prisoners to pay blood money.
9. A Believer will not make the freedman of another Believer as his ally against the wishes of the other Believers.
10. The Believers, who fear Allah, will oppose the rebellious elements and those that encourage injustice or sin, or enmity or corruption among Believers.
11. If anyone is guilty of any such act all the Believers will oppose him even if he be the son of any one of them.
12. A Believer will not kill another Believer, for the sake of an un-Believer. (i.e. even though the un-Believer is his close relative).
13. No Believer will help an un-Believer against a Believer.
14. Protection (when given) in the Name of Allah will be common. The weakest among Believers may give protection (In the Name of Allah) and it will be binding on all Believers.
15. Believers are all friends to each other to the exclusion of all others.
16. Those Jews who follow the Believers will be helped and will be treated with equality. (Social, legal and economic equality is promised to all loyal citizens of the State).
17. No Jew will be wronged for being a Jew.
18. The enemies of the Jews who follow us will not be helped.
19. The peace of the Believers (of the State of Madinah) cannot be divided. (it is either peace or war for all. It cannot be that a part of the population is at war with the outsiders and a part is at peace).
20. No separate peace will be made by anyone in Madinah when Believers are fighting in the Path of Allah.
21. Conditions of peace and war and the accompanying ease or hardships must be fair and equitable to all citizens alike.
22. When going out on expeditions a rider must take his fellow member of the Army-share his ride.
23. The Believers must avenge the blood of one another when fighting in the Path of Allah (This clause was to remind those in front of whom there may be less severe fighting that the cause was common to all. This also meant that although each battle appeared a separate entity it was in fact a part of the War, which affected all Muslims equally).
24. The Believers (because they fear Allah) are better in showing steadfastness and as a result receive guidance from Allah in this respect. Others must also aspire to come up to the same standard of steadfastness.
25. No un-believer will be permitted to take the property of the Quraysh (the enemy) under his protection. Enemy property must be surrendered to the State.
26. No un-Believer will intervene in favour of a Quraysh, (because the Quraysh having declared war are the enemy).
27. If any un-believer kills a Believer, without good cause, he shall be killed in return, unless the next of kin are satisfied (as it creates law and order problems and weakens the defence of the State). All Believers shall be against such a wrong-doer. No Believer will be allowed to shelter such a man.
28. When you differ on anything (regarding this Document) the matter shall be referred to Allah and Muhammad (may Allah bless him and grant him peace).
29. The Jews will contribute towards the war when fighting alongside the Believers.
30. The Jews of Bani Awf will be treated as one community with the Believers. The Jews have their religion. This will also apply to their freedmen. The exception will be those who act unjustly and sinfully. By so doing they wrong themselves and their families.
31. The same applies to Jews of Bani Al-Najjar, Bani Al Harith, Bani Saeeda, Bani Jusham, Bani Al Aws, Thaalba, and the Jaffna, (a clan of the Bani Thaalba) and the Bani Al Shutayba.
32. Loyalty gives protection against treachery. (loyal people are protected by their friends against treachery. As long as a person remains loyal to the State he is not likely to succumb to the ideas of being treacherous. He protects himself against weakness).
The effect of moral sentiment in the community:
By this wisdom the Messenger of Allah, peace be upon him laid the foundation of a new society, the Prophet, peace be upon him supported it with his company, teaching, training, soul purification, and enjoining good morals, friendliness, brotherhood, honor, worship and obedience.
All praises are due to Allah Who created the heavens and the earth. May Allah bestow peace and blessings on Prophet Muhammad (pbuh), his families, his pious companions and all those who follow his guidance.
Allah says: “ Indeed, the number of months with Allah is twelve [lunar] months in the register of Allah [from] the day He created the heavens and the earth; of these, four are sacred. That is the correct religion, so do not wrong yourselves during them. And fight against the disbelievers collectively as they fight against you collectively. And know that Allah is with the righteous [who fear Him]..” (9: 36)
We are in the month of sofar, the second of the months in the Islamic year.
There are some misconceptions among people regarding sofar- among which is the spread of evil, however Islam corrected this notion that all power belongs to Allah.
Oh Allah descend peace; flowing with continuous tranquility and security upon Nigeria and all other Muslim nations. O Allah accept the worship of the pilgrims of hajj and Umrah, and grant us all Your pleasure, And the last of our call will be, “Praise to Allah, Lord of the worlds!”